Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gammel Estrup

I was aware of generations of my family watching over my shoulder as I worked on this sketch. My family lived here since from when the castle was built until my great-grandfather was the last. My father played here as a boy. Coming here was like coming home, though I have been here only once before. Walking in the corridors I walked with the ghosts of my ancestors, I saw my features reflected in the portraits on the walls. One of the highlights of our visit to Denmark last summer. I plan to repaint this and other views of Gammel Estrup.

2 comments:

JANE MINTER said...

super sketch anita ..so many memories for you ... did you make any more sketches ..the grounds look beautiful too .

Anita said...

Jane - thank you! There will be more from here to come.